From the conscious to the subconscious, join me as we explore the world of dreams.

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Disaster Averted

I awaken to discover it is already light. A sense of urgency grips me as I pull down the covers. My body is still groggy, but my mind races, seeking the origin of my panic. Like an invisible weight, it hits me: I'm late for class! I hastly throw on clothes, scramble through the dorm, and jog to my class on North Campus. Enduring the dissappointed stare of my professor and the questioning eyes of my classmates, I sneak in and quietly rummage through my backpack. My stomach drops and a bitter taste in my mouth decry my alarm as I see the packets of paper being dispersed. Before the final hits my desk, my hands are damp with perspiration. I can't look up, my face burns as I realize I haven't studied.

Whether it is the forgotten due date for my portfolio, the presentation that I neglected to prepare, or the final packet of calculus homework whose absence will surely result in failure, the dream takes me back to the pressure of being a student. Happily homework free for more than 5 years, I wonder at the recurrence of such dreams.

School tardiness, misdirection, and crucial tests are quite common. I did a little research and found some answers that seemed to fit my situation. Perhaps it will enlighten yours.

Exams and tests may represent a challenge. Feeling unprepared for the test represents a lack of confidence in dealing with the challenge. The sense of failure or panic at forgetting a test or assignment may indicate concern over meeting expectations (internal or external). School backgrounds often represent a feeling of insecurity or impotence.

What can you do? Seek to discover the challenge. Plan how you seek to meet the challenge. Is your lack of confidence rational? Consider how you can gain confidence. Are your expectations, and those of others, reasonable? If they aren't, don't be afraid to change them.

No comments: